William Morva was sentenced to death for the the 2006 shooting deaths of Eric Sutphin and Derrick McFarland.
As a child, Mr. Morva was a sweet and compassionate boy that cared deeply about his close friends. During his senior year of high school, Mr. Morva began to exhibit odd behaviors. He dropped out before graduation. He started to eat mainly raw meat and cheese, and at times only nuts, berries, and pinecones, to treat a supposed gastrointestinal illness. Mr. Morva believed that the Bush Administration and the local police were targeting him. He also told friends that he had special powers that he was destined to use on a mission to save indigenous populations.
In 2005, Mr. Morva's psychological and physical conditions deteriorated while he was held in jail awaiting trial for an attempted robbery. After a year in jail, Mr. Morva was taken to a hospital to receive medical treatment. There, he killed a deputy and hospital security guard. During his trial, Mr. Morva's serious mental illness was downplayed. Jurors only knew he had odd beliefs and a personality disorder. In 2014, a psychologist diagnosed Mr. Morva with delusional disorder and said that he committed his crimes as a result of his delusions.
For more information, visit https://www.mercyformorva.com/.
- Contact Gov. Terry McAuliffe and ask him to halt this execution: contact him via this link, by phone at (804) 786-2211 or by tweet @GovernorVA. If you prefer to send a letter, here is the mailing address: Governor Terry McAuliffe, Common Ground for Virginia, P.O. Box 1475, Richmond, VA 23218.
- Sign this petition asking Governer Terry McAuliffe not to execute Mr. Morva.
- If you live in Virginia, write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper.
- Attend a vigil organized by the Virginians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty around the scheduled execution. Click on this link to see when and where vigils will be held.
- Please share this information with your friends, especially those in Virginia, and ask them to help halt the execution of Mr. Morva by taking one of the actions listed above.
Please check back. We will be updating this page as more information about how you can help stop the execution of Mr. Morva becomes available.