NCADP Director of Development
National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
Director of Development
The National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty (the Coalition), now in it’s 36th year as the nation's oldest organization dedicated to the abolition of the death penalty, seeks a Development Director. The Coalition is comprised of an extensive network representing more than 100 state and national affiliate organizations and thousands of advocates and volunteers. The Coalition’s constituents include families of murder victims, families of prisoners on death row, exonerated death row prisoners, persons from all points on the political and religious spectrums, past and present law enforcement officials and prominent civil and racial justice organizations working to end the death penalty forever.
The origins of the Coalition are rooted in the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1976 Gregg v. Georgia decision, which permitted individual states to resume executions. Following that ruling, a group of leading civil and human rights activists founded the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty. The Coalition has grown into an organization that makes a difference across the United States. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., the Coalition’s seasoned professionals provide strategic political analysis and leadership to the larger anti-death penalty movement and hands-on direct assistance to state affiliates working to end the death penalty.
The Coalition seeks a Development Director who will be responsible for planning, implementing and sustaining its $1 million plus annual program including major gifts, online fundraising, foundation grants, special events, donor stewardship, and building a cash reserve fund.
- Sustain and enhance the Coalition’s $1 million annual program including its annual fundraiser, major gifts, online fundraising, foundation grants, special events, and donor stewardship.
- Work closely with the Executive Director and outside consultant to develop and implement long- and short-term fundraising plans and a long-term financial plan that includes building a cash reserve fund.
- Raise money from foundations, including drafting proposals and reports to foundations, reviewing grant agreements, and maintaining strong personal relationships with staff of current funders.
- Explore and build relationships with prospective foundations, ensuring the Executive Director meets with key foundation program officers.
- Draft annual reports, donor cultivation materials, and brochures on the Coalition.
- Raise money from high dollar individual donors, including creating a strategy for the Coalition to begin building and maintaining relationships with individual donors, identify prospective donors, develop pitches, assisting the Executive Director in building relationships and requesting funding from key donors.
- Maintain a system for keeping major donors informed and connected to the work of the Coalition.
- Maintain a system for meeting deadlines for submitting foundation proposals and reports.
- Solicit gifts from large donors outside the US, both institutional and individual.
- Administer affiliate dues program.
- Engage the Board of Directors and other volunteers in implementing the organization’s development plan.
- Three to seven years’ of development and fundraising experience that includes experience with online fundraising and social media.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with strong analytical skills and understanding of the strategy behind the work of the Coalition.
- Measurable record of fundraising success, including effectively using all tools available for fundraising and development.
- Strong organizational skills including tracking and meeting deadlines.
- Experience in preparing financial reports, technologically savvy, strong hands-on performer.
- Experience helping to shape and lead efforts around communications and messaging as they relate to fundraising.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects with ease and grace.
- Creative and strategic thinker.
- Experience in financial analysis and budget forecasting.
- Strong passion for civil and human rights issues.
Send a cover letter, resume, writing samples, and salary requirements to email@example.com, subject line: “NCADP -- Director of Development.” No phone calls, please. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.